One of the foods that is unfortunately often thrown away is old pastries, such as the Kaiser rolls that are so beloved in Austria. After a day they are usually no longer fresh and then they are the perfect ingredient for another Viennese original – bread horseradish. Most people know it in combination with boiled beef and it is suitable as a universal side dish almost like potatoes.
Organic ingredients :
- 4 stale rolls
- Fresh horseradish (horseradish) – in a jar or tube if necessary
- approx. 500ml water
- 2 tbsp Viennese seasoning
Cut the old bread rolls into approx. 1.5cm cubes and pour 400ml of water over them in a pot and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon. Add more water as needed to make a kind of puree. This takes about 5 minutes. Season with the Viennese seasoning and horseradish and serve.
Tips & Tricks :
- Use a coated pot as the bread horseradish spreads easily.
- It doesn't just have to be rolls, almost any type of pastry and bread is suitable.
- If the rolls aren't enough, you can simply add some bread cubes or breadcrumbs.
- 400g beans
- 25g butter
- 25g flour
- 250ml milk
- 2 tbsp Tyrolean seasoning
Cook the cleaned beans in salted water for four minutes. Heat butter and flour in a saucepan and stir until smooth. Mix the milk with the flour and butter mixture using a whisk and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Finally, refine with the Tyrolean seasoning and mix with the cooked beans.
- 150g smoked meat per person
Heat the smoked meat in a pot with lightly salted water for 10 – 30 minutes, depending on the size of the piece. The water should not boil. Once warmed, slice and serve.